Sunday 9 November 2014

REWIND REPUBLIC


Tell us a bit about Rewind Republic and how it all began…

We have a shared passion for the old and the new, finding new purposes for old skills, techniques and materials - ‘rewinding time’, as we say. We like old things, with a story and a purpose. Our collaboration feels like a celebration for ‘the old ways’ or days, but where we share a love of discovering the new in the old, and reviving beautiful things.

 
 

 
What inspires your designs?

M: Pop. Bang. Colour... are the top 3 ingredients that go into making great and fun design items for every day use. I love texture and adding that classic touch of timelessness to anything I create. I love the challenge of revival and repurposing the old and making it new and fresh again.


N: Simple & classic constructions, with a twist of my own funky flare. Distressed and/or textures, teamed up with a little colour or some stripes are my usual ‘go to’ when making new things.

 
 

What has brought you the most joy from your creative practice and why?

M: I love to play with colour, new materials and mix it all around with old techniques with my hands. I’m learning while I’m playing when I create – and there are no rules.

 
N: Being a third generation bookbinder, I feel such a family bond when I’m making books. It’s like preparing our Christmas pudding so lovingly each year; women in the kitchen and a warm banter in the air... accept I’m so lucky to feel that through my daily work. Pretty cool indeed.
 
 
 


 

What can folk expect to find at our November event?
 
We like to think a rocking collaboration of our wares. Cool classic clutch bags, luxe textures and eye candy for your ear lobes make up the Rewind Republic range that will spice up your wardrobe for every occasion. A few other small additions in our range to share on the day, that we feel are a perfect complement to our handcrafted ways.


 
What is it about Hustle & Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?

You're new and fresh minded, with a strong focus on fashion and good food. There is an undertone of wholesome and homegrown, but a vibrancy that’s simply infectious to be apart of.

 

  

MY FAV THINGS


 
Nellie:

Guilty pleasure: Oh anything chocolate.

First song on your ultimate mixtape: Happy by Pharrell.

Fashion item you own: Mum's vintage clutch.

Place to unwind in Canberra: My home! Favs out n about… ‘the bunker’ (A.Baker’s cool hideaway bar) & ‘the chai cafĂ©’ (Amazing Mocan & GG).

Thing you have made: The ceiling in my studio, was a world of fun.

 
 

Mel:

Guilty pleasure: 1 spoon and 1 giant jar of nutella. Don’t judge me.

First song on your ultimate mixtape: Anything MJ. Blame it on the Boogie – Michael Jackson

Fashion item you own: Way too many pairs of shoes.

Place to unwind in Canberra: Two Before Ten – Hot Baristas and Hot Coffee!

Thing you have made: Polymer clay ear rings and resin rings – they’re the new wardrobe staples to pop a bit of colour and ‘on trend’ into your wardrobe.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment