Thursday 20 November 2014

IN MY ELEMENT GLASS DESIGN


Tell us a bit about your label and how you got into making jewellery?
I started working with glass as a hobby in the 90’s and just fell in love with glass as a medium.  I was then introduced to fused glass (warm or kiln formed glass) and as my passion and skills increased, and after a lot of encouragement from friends and family, I decided to take my hobby to the next level and began my business in Oct 2011. I chose ‘In MyElement | Glass Design’ as my business name as I’m ‘in my element’ when I’m working with glass in my studio.



What inspires your designs?
The glass itself inspires my designs - the way the light reflects on and through the glass….
There’s countless possibilities from keeping it simple, letting the glass do the talking to creating eye catching pieces exploring the full colour spectrum. I’m also inspired by fashion and art in general, whether it’s the latest catwalk collection or the work of glass artists Klaus Moje, Richard Whiteley and Dale Chihuly; I also love ‘De Stijl’ or Dutch Style for the mix of geometric lines and shapes used with primary block colours.

 
 

What has brought you the most joy from your creative practice and why?
I receive a great deal of positive feedback and really enjoy seeing my favourite handcrafted designs leave the gallery in the hands of an excited new owner who has purchased the piece for themselves or to give as a gift to someone special.  I also can’t tell you how good it feels to be asked to make a custom piece(s) for a special gift.


What can market folk expect to find at our November event?
I have been creating lots of new fused glass pieces for my jewellery and accessories range that will add a ‘pop’ of colour to everyday wear and special occasion outfits. Along with my range of dress rings and pendants, I have earrings in almost every shade, including clip-on earrings for an ever increasing and appreciative client base.  I also have a wide range of unisex cufflinks in the latest fashion shades.


What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
I love the vibe of the twilight markets offering an eclectic collective of music, fashion and food. The patrons and stall holders create such a positive energy after attending a few events I thought it time to step up and make an application
to Hustle& Scout to introduce ‘In My Element Glass Design' to a new audience.

 

MY FAV THINGS

Guilty pleasure: Hmmm… it’s really anything rich in flavour, colour or texture. Oh, and a well-cooked brunch out with friends…..and…. good quality ice-cream….and…….good coffee…..and………..
First song on your ultimate mixtape: There are 2 in equal first - Bob Dylan’s Jokerman; and the music from Procol Harum’s A Whiter Shade of Pale
Fashion item you own: My pick of the latest jewellery from the kiln at In My Element | Glass Design ;-)
 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment