Monday 17 November 2014

G. GINCHY


Tell us about G Ginchy and how it all began...

G Ginchy officially began late last year. However, Ginchy had been brewing in my mind for years! Essentially, Ginchy garments are a classic silhouette made from vintage fabric. Except, I think of my garments as costumes rather than clothing...they're designed and worn for fun. 

 

G Ginchy at Fashfest 2014
Where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs?

I grew up watching Greek films from the 50's-60's. I guess that's where my love affair for cult classics and black & white films began. Therefore, I derive my inspiration from cult classic films. John Waters' films are an immense source of inspiration for me!

 

How do you embrace sustainable practices in your designs process?

I up-cycle. I take pre existing vintage garments, disassemble and recreate into my designs. Or I'll use vintage curtains, linen and upholstery. It's absolute gold when I come across metres of unused vintage fabric!

 

What can market folk expect to find at our November event?

I'll have one off pieces; High waisted short shorts, wide leg high waisted trousers, wiggle skirts and more...

Oh, and my garments featured at Fashfest earlier this year.



What is it about Hustle& Scout that wanted you to be a stall holder?

Hustle&Scout feels less like a market to me but rather more like a gathering of creative folk who share and sell their pieces in a community based environment.
 
 
 

 

MY FAV THINGS

Guilty pleasure: A hot bubble bath.
 
First song on your ultimate mix tape: House of the Rising Sun by The Animals.

Fashion item you own: That's a hard one...hmm...really, just one? I honestly can not answer that one...

About Canberra: The roundabouts!
Thing you have made: My black/white woollen wiggle skirt.
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment