Tuesday 18 November 2014

Oh, Buttons!


Tell us a bit about your label and how you got into making jewellery?

We are named 'Oh, Buttons!' because I use this as a sort of cutesy curse word - if I stub my toe I’ll mutter "oh, buttons!" and I think this kind of sums up the image behind our label as well - cute but with a bit of attitude mixed in there.

I started making jewellery about two years ago and it is something that I really just fell into. I experimented with some paper& glass designs and they really looked great so I just kept making them! We added in the fabric button earrings and it grew and blossomed from there.
 
 

What inspires your designs?

I love fabric shopping and will spend hours online or wandering through shops searching for the right fabric. It’s gotten to the point where my husband can actually pick designs that will work well for earrings because he spends so long with me hunting for the right print.

We have also recently started to express our “inner geeks” with superhero, Dr. Who and Star Wars designs, all of which are really fun to make and now that we have started exploring this path we are constantly looking for ways to make new items with our fellow nerds in mind!

 

What has brought you the most joy from your creative practice and why?

Being released from a desk job! The contrast of having set hours and working in an office environment to working in the freedom of my own home has been really eye-opening and liberating. In reality, I work much longer hours than I did before, and most weeks I don’t actually get a day off, but I feel much more relaxed and content than I did before. It has certainly been challenging and there isn’t the stability of a paycheck from week to week, but I wouldn’t trade our crazy busy life for anything!

The second most joyous thing about embracing the creative lifestyle is the squeal of delight I hear at markets (usually when someone has discovered Tardis earrings) or overhearing people looking through our stall and excitedly showing each other all the things they like. It is really wonderful and encouraging.
 


 

What can market folk expect to find at our November event?

We have recently started to branch out into our “Bro Buttons!” range, which includes cufflinks for the menfolk and superhero pins for the lads. As well as this, we will have our market special of 3 pairs of earrings for $20, which is perfect for Secret Santa presents, or even just getting something for yourself!

 

What is it about Hustle & Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?

Hustle&Scout embodies everything that we are about - it is young, fashionable, and exciting with a high expectation of quality. It is a little bit different from other markets and that is something that makes us feel like we will be right at home!

 

MY FAV THINGS


 
Guilty pleasure: Candles from the Little Flame Co. I seriously have at least one in every room of my house and I just keep buying them.

First song on your ultimate mix tape: “I Will Wait” by Mumford & Sons. We listened to M&S last time we went on a camping trip to the Blue Mountains and now every time I hear them I feel like I’m on holidays and going to spend a few days hiding away in the bush.

Fashion item you own: Heels from Rivers (of all places!) They are cute little brown leather heels and they were so comfortable that I went back and bought a second pair.

Place to unwind in Canberra: My Grandparent’s house! We live about an hour away and most of the time when we are in Canberra it is for markets, so when I get the chance to drop in and see my Grandparents it is so lovely. There is always a cup of tea and my Grandma is the person I inherited a lot of my creativity from so I love catching up and checking out her latest projects.

Thing you have made: A Christmas stocking for my husband. It took me three years (and lots of cursing “oh, buttons!” at the sewing machine) but it is finally finished and it looks like something off Pinterest. Now I just need to finish two more!  
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment