Thursday 12 December 2013

A silver ring is all it took...

Local designer and silversmith, Penny Layton, will be back in just 2 days with her collection of gorgeous hand-crafted mixed-metal jewellery. Combining silver, copper and brass, Penny's pieces exude a certain warmth and rustic charm that stays true to her brand name - Rustic Treasures. It was lovely to hear a bit more about Penny and her practice through our Q&A...



How did you get into jewellery-making?
Our family was fortunate enough to be posted to Colorado, USA and at the time I had two young pre-schoolers. I discovered a silversmith who was running classes in her studio. I took a class and learned how to make a silver ring. I fell in love with the whole process and decided to take it further and studied silver smithing and jewellery design at a local college.


How would you describe your label’s design aesthetic?
My style would be described as contemporary. I create jewellery that combines precious and base metals with other materials in a unique way to produce wearable art.


Where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs?
Much of my inspiration comes from nature - shapes, patterns and colours inspire and excite me.  Flowers, leaves and the textures of different natural surfaces all feature as elements in my jewellery.


If you had the opportunity to design a fashion piece for anyone, who would it be?
Gok, because of his passion for fashion.


What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? Why?
I make a bead which consists of three geometric shapes cut from silver, brass and copper sheet that are soldered together to form a single plate of tri-metal. I then forge two of these sheets into domes that are joined to produce a hollow metal bead. This is a test of craftsmanship and patients that produces a piece of jewellery I am proud to have people wear – I still wear the original I made 8 years ago!


What is your favourite object in your workshop?
Hard choice, either my little German-made chasing hammer or my Ezy Rivet Tool.


Where do you aspire to be in 10 years from now? (Hint: dream BIG)
I would like to have my own studio with a retail section, a workshop and an area to run jewellery-making classes.


What are 5 things you can’t live without?

Family, friends, coffee, the gym and, of course, the beach!



No comments :

Post a Comment