Thursday 5 December 2013

Sh-OP-ping.

I know a gal, who knows all of the best places in town to snatch a quality, second-hand bargain. Be it an opshop, Revolve, or a garage sale, Fiona has the skills and the drills to get fash for less cash. Fiona, the creative mastermind behind 'Opshoppers', is not just about collecting quality treasures, she is also about upcycling pieces like the leather jacket below, which features artwork by local street artist, Abyss.607. Vintage and second-hand fashion plays a very important role in maintaining a sustainable fashion cycle. Keeping fashion from ending up in landfill is the responsibility of each and every one of us, so think twice before you throw that old dress or leather jacket in the trash, because people like Fiona might be able to do good with it!




When and why did you start collecting second-hand pieces?
I discovered opshops about 10 years ago. I found a pair of Levis for $2 and thought “I’m never paying $80 for jeans ever again!".


How would you describe the ‘Opshoppers’ aesthetic/vibe?
The brand is laid back. We don’t take fashion too seriously. Opshoppers is about wearing what you want, not what a magazine tells you.


What are your top 3 favourite op-shops in Canberra?
Dude, I’m not teliing you my opshop secrets! I’ll give you a hint though: It starts with G and is a place to store your care.


What is the weirdest thing you ever thrifted?
I found an adult sized nappy once.


What is your absolute favourite second-hand piece you own? Why?
My personal leather jacket collection is EPIC.


If you had the opportunity to dress anyone for a day, who would it be? Why?
I would like to dress Julia Gillard. She always looks wayyyy too uptight in her tailored suits.


Where do you aspire to be in 10 years? 
I’d like to be alive and healthy, perhaps with some chickens.


 What are 5 things you can’t live without?
Oxygen.
My partner, Ben.
My family.
My 3 rescue cats. Pooky, Harry and Mr Bean.

Benedict Cumberbatch.








No comments :

Post a Comment