Wednesday 4 December 2013

She's a pearler!

If there is one staple jewellery piece every lady should own, it's a string of pearls. Classic, timeless, elegant - pearls are probably a girl's second best friend (after diamonds, of course). For our Summer market we have got THE lady who knows her pearls like the back of her hand - Jane Brown. I recently bought a string of Jane's pearls for my mum as a birthday present...here she is straight after she whipped them around her neck. I love this necklace - it is simple and classic, yet still a statement piece. I love how the black string makes the pearls pop...  






How did you get into jewellery-making?
I fell into designing pearl jewellery after being introduced to the emerging pearl market while living for 5 years in Beijing, China, during the early 1990's.  18 months after returning to live in Canberra I began importing old carpets and embroidered textiles and a small number of earrings.  I soon discovered that carpets & textiles were a small niche market and there is a universal appeal towards jewellery!


How would you describe your label’s design aesthetic?
I have a total passion for delivering quality, balancing texture & colour and challenging the public's perception of what pearl jewellery 'should be'.


Where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs?
I am inspired by the quality, size & colour of the pearls & gemstones that are available to me when I travel overseas and I have always felt that you are only limited by one's imagination & luckily I have been blessed with a very vivid imagination which helps!


If you had the opportunity to design a fashion piece for anyone, who would it be?
Cate Blanchett who is so ethereal and beautiful as well as being an incredible Oscar winning actress.


What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? Why?
Special pieces that I design (with love in my heart) for my family and close friends.


What is your favourite object in your workshop?
Emerald green ceramic pots & Chinese wooden calligraphy brush stands on which I display fabulous large, lustrous strands of baroque pearls.


Where do you aspire to be in 10 years from now? (Hint: dream BIG)
Still deriving great enjoyment & inspiration from travelling and running my boutique pearl business & delivering fantastic customer service.


What are 5 things you can’t live without?

My family & friends, music, travel, tennis, cooking books, glossy magazines.

...that's 7 things Jane! ;)



No comments :

Post a Comment