Tuesday 10 December 2013

Canberra's eco-fashion pioneers...

If there is one fashion label in Canberra that has become synonymous with the words green, eco, sustainable and ethical, it's Pure Pod

Let's get one thing straight - there can be no underestimating or playing down of the amazing feel of organic fabric on your skin. It sends those same tingles down your spine as when you take your shoes off at the beach and first feel the sand between your toes - it's raw and it's revitalising.  I recently bought one of the Pure Pod long, black Elk Sissone dresses and, oh my word, it is the most wonderful and comfortable dress I have ever worn (big shout). Get down to Hustle&Scout this Saturday to get your chance to feel, try and buy pieces from Pure Pod's veggie-dyed summer collection. My bet is, they won't last long. 

Pure Pod designer, Kelli, shares some very personal insights into her upbringing, her values and her experiences to shed light on the Pure Pod journey. Take some time to read this lovely Q&A with her...




When did you know you wanted to be a fashion designer?
I was born with this in my soul and also a love of the environment, passion for the arts and fashion industry. I had no choice really, it is in my blood! My grandmother was an amazing talented tailor and her mother and grandmother (my great great grannie) were all in the fashion industry in Scotland. My great grandmother was a child working in the textile mills in Glasgow - not a very glamorous job and very dangerous for children!

 There’s also talk in our family that we are related to John Muir, a Scottish-born American naturalist, author, and early advocate of preservation of wilderness in the United States. His activism helped to preserve the Yosemite Valley, Sequoia National Park and other wilderness areas.  So, it seems fitting that I am an ethical eco fashion designer with pioneer passion streaming through me!

I have always designed clothes ever since I had a Holly Hobbie sewing machine as a 5-year-old. Barbies were my favourite and I was always making, drawing or designing something as a kid. My passion for the environment and my Dad’s influence in enjoying nature had a huge impact on me.

After working for 16 years in the fashion industry in Melbourne, I ran away with my partner Sean Watson to Byron Bay to study yoga teaching and from there my true passion began. We started Pure Pod in the hinterland of the sub-tropical area of Byron Bay. It just all came together from there!


Where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs?
I love texture and colours in nature, other creative industries, art, people, fashion and textile history.
I love the women who wear our clothing and I get a lot of inspiration from them, whether they be 19 or 90 years old! I love to hear and talk to women about our clothing and know that they feel amazing in our collections. We have had many women tell us when they wear their Pure Pod clothing they get compliments all the time and even get into conversation about our brand with others while wearing our clothing.
The environment is also something I get lots of inspiration from, as well as trying to conserve our natural world for future generations.


Is green the new black?
Pure Pod believes GREEN is the new BLACK because ….we are very passionate about being eco fashion pioneers in helping to change the polluting fashion industry. The fashion industry is the 3rd highest polluting industry in the world, in growing textiles, chemical and pesticide usage, dying and making textiles & trims, plastics and left over manufacturing waste and unwanted and used clothing. I wasn’t born a scientist or politician to help save our planet so I am doing it through what I love and know - making beautiful ethical eco clothing!


If you had the opportunity to dress anyone, who would it be?
Cate Blanchette (an eco warrior);
Katherine Hamnett – (the first policital designer –  she made a strong statement about bombs in the 80’s with her ‘Choose Life’ tshirts and wanting to change our polluting and unethical industry);
David Suzuki (Amazing eco scientist and environmentalist);
Every woman in the world who cares about where her clothing comes from, how it’s made and grown.


What is your absolute favourite thing you own? Why?
I have some beads my Dad bought me back from Africa when I was three with a postcard of a baby leopard when he was filming a documentary there. I still remember opening the present and being truly inspired by the colours of the beads. I had never seen anything like them before. I still have them and my little girl, Ruby, who is now three, loves them too. I wear them as a good luck charm as my Dad is sadly not with us anymore.

I also have a beautiful 1950’s ball gown my Nan made for my Mum. I wore it to functions when I was younger. It is a full length fitted evening dress in black satin with gold flowers embroidered all over it plus a hand bag to match. I hope one day to see my daughter in this dress.


What is your biggest challenge as a designer?
Being creative while trying to earn a living out of my trade and also trying to keep it as ethical and eco as possible as a small designer. It is always easy to get caught up in other peoples' thoughts on your product, but you need to listen to your heart and creative mind to make beautiful products that people love. If you follow that path your customers will love your designs. I have been caught in the trap before by making something some one else wants but it is never right and doesn’t always work.

Trying to stay eco and ethical in our manufacturing is very hard in such a hard retail environment and trying to keep our product made in OZ. There are so many cheap imports coming into Australia we just can’t compete with the prices but we know our product has a face behind each piece, a story and it will wear for a long time. Much longer than cheap imports where people aren’t always paid their worth overseas.


What are 5 things you can’t live without?

My family – Sean and Ruby, my sleep & pillow, home grown vegetables, friends and a healthy environment! Ooops that’s more than 5!!!



No comments :

Post a Comment