Wednesday 11 December 2013

My tools are my children.

Stuart the Cat is a local jewellery label by Lisa Jose, part-time silversmith and part-time archaeologist. Stuart the Cat is also, well, a cat...belonging to Lisa. Just thought I'd clear that up early.

Lisa's work is quite sought-after in Canberra. She was recently commissioned to make some pieces (jewellery and brooches) for the Incas exhibition at the National Gallery of Australia. It was the first time she has made laser-cut wooden llama brooches - I guess there's a first time for everything! Anyway, enough of the fun facts and over to the more insightful and revealing information about Lisa's life and work...




How did you get into jewellery-making?
As a distraction from PhD study.


How would you describe your label’s design aesthetic?
Simple, and elegantly wonky.


Where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs?
Everywhere! My garden, buildings, mechanical components, ancient art and adornment, textiles, food and birds.  I’d like to say Stuart inspires me, but mostly he just steals beads.

If you had the opportunity to design a fashion piece for anyone, who would it be?
Vermeer’s Girl with a Pearl Earring.  I think she’d totally rock a pair of Stuart the Cat’s fruitdrop earrings.


What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? Why?
The first ring I made.  It’s awful: the join is soldered terribly, it’s far too big for me, and I used a lot of copper in it, so my finger goes green when I wear it.  But when I look at it I remember how excited I was to have actually made this thing, and I remember the thrill of the possibilities that lay ahead.


What is your favourite object in your workshop?
Don’t make me choose.  My tools are my children.


Where do you aspire to be in 10 years from now? (Hint: dream BIG)
It’s a bit boring, but I’d be pretty happy if I’m still doing what I’m doing now.  Do I have to dream big?  OK then…..I’d like to be so famous that I’d just go by my first name, and everyone would be wearing my jewellery, and I’d be the first choice for the Oscars red carpet, and everyone would be like “I don’t know why movie stars didn’t always wear stylish handmade silver jewellery,” and I’d smile knowingly from my chateau in the south of France as David Tennant brought me a second piece of cheesecake.


What are 5 things you can’t live without?

Apart from the necessary tools and materials I use daily, the most important things are those that keep me connected to the world.  It can be very isolating working alone, so I’d choose the following five things: Radio National, Facebook, and the internet for keeping me in touch; Northern Exposure DVDs to keep me company while I make polymer clay beads; and my family and friends for their amazing support and encouragement.  I’d like to include Stuart in that group, but he’s pretty indifferent.  I’m not sure he even likes my work.




1 comment :

  1. Loved the Dream Big answer! Thanks Lisa!

    ReplyDelete