Thursday 12 December 2013

Bespoke and breath-taking designs

She has featured in Hitched Magazine and several editions of Cosmopolitan Bride, showcased at Fashfest earlier this year, and stocked a number of her pieces in stores and online boutiques around Australia...let me introduce one of our newest stallholders, Canberra designer Sofia Polak. 

Sofia creates bespoke,  chic and sophisticated evening, bridal and cocktail pieces for women. She is all about helping women to feel empowered and confident when wearing her one-of-a-kind garments. We are very privileged to have Sofia sell and showcase some of her current stock with us this Saturday.




When did you know you wanted to be a fashion designer?
Growing up I always loved drawing and hand sewing dresses for my dolls and studied fashion design in college but it wasn't until I worked in a high fashion retail store and took a short course while I was living overseas that I decided to pursue it further and led me to complete a Bachelor of Fashion Design at the Canberra Institute of Technology.


How would you describe your label’s design aesthetic?
Sophisticated, bold , modern and feminine.


Where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs?
Some collections are inspired from creative sources but the basis of my inspiration is always the female silhouette.


If you had the opportunity to dress anyone, who would it be?
I am grateful I have the opportunity to dress my wonderful bespoke clients. Providing a custom design service provides me with the opportunity to dress a range of amazing women and young ladies.  If I had to pick one person from the current Australian fashion scene it would have to be Kate Waterhouse, as her style is sophisticated with an edge which reflects the sofia polak aesthetic.


What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? Why?
I would say the ‘Kate’ dress from my addicted to love collection, which was inspired by one of my real brides and dear friend and was featured in Hitched magazine and Cosmopolitan Bride.


What is your greatest challenge as a designer?
Being based in Canberra can be tricky especially when communicating and liaising with interstate suppliers.  I hope the recent growth in the Canberra fashion community will continue and improve some of the challenges of being a Canberra fashion designer.


Where do you hope to be in 10 years? (hint: dream BIG)

Continuing my label and bespoke service within my own boutique.



No comments :

Post a Comment