Friday 6 December 2013

Adhoc aesthetics...

To add to the list of talented sustainable designers lined-up for Hustle&Scout next week, we have SZN - Canberra label by designer Suzan Dlouhy. Suzan will be back with her eclectic range of pieces, which span from strong and structural and to delicate and flowing, and from dark and grungy to bright and bold. I am a big fan of Suzan's work, and I really appreciate the fact that she doesn't have one signature look for her brand. Suzan takes her inspiration from a range of sources, and focuses on fashion as a process rather than an outcome. Fashion, for me, is a form of communication and expression. I don't always want to express myself in the same way, I want to play with different fabrics, styles and colours to channel a certain mood or to tell a certain story. For fashion designers, I think it should be the same - grab inspiration from all around, and continue to grow, learn and express yourself by experimenting. 

I recently bought an SZN skirt (below) which I adore. A colleague at work this week said to me, "I love your skirt, it looks really art deco, very cool". I replied with "Thank you! I love it too, it's an upcycled Ikea table cloth". They looked at me, then at the skirt, then at me again and replied, "WOW!". This demonstrates, for me, the importance of chatting to designers and asking about the process and the story behind constructing a particular garment. Plus, it's lovely to be able to pass these stories on. I'm sure my colleague will now look at Ikea table cloths in a new light. 

I also wore an SZN outfit in a Canberra Times shoot we did for Hustle&Scout in September. The jacket (pictured below) was re-purposed material from second-hand items found at an opshop, and the dress underneath was made from the fabric off-cuts of another local designer. In that photo, I feel I am representing sustainable fashion at it's best. Thanks again, Suzan. 






How would you describe your label’s style aesthetic?
Adhoc - its made up of a process of discovery and simplicity.


Where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs?
Music and materials. I work to a sound track of reggae, blues, soul and Triple J,
while constantly scanning my environment for materials to use in different
ways.


Who is your customer?
People who enjoy the process of things and apply this to their life - journey
not destination.


How are your pieces sustainable / eco-friendly?
I produce in limited quantities from pre-consumer waste fabric, globally
collected fabrics and upcycled second hand fabrics.


If you had the opportunity to dress anyone, who would it be?
Betty Davis the funk singer.


What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? Why?
The SZN dress from upcycled leather and electrical cables. It launched my label
and has been constantly on request for photo shoots and catwalks. It is
quintessential SZN in process, silhouette and material use.




 If you had to pick a soundtrack or song to represent what your label stands for, what would it be?
Everybody Loves the Sunshine, the Seu Jorge version.


What are 5 things you can’t live without?

Sun, family, music, community and fun.







No comments :

Post a Comment