Tuesday 3 December 2013

Life, fabric, the moment...

The lovely Karen Lee will be returning to Hustle&Scout with her elegant, versatile and comfortable womenswear pieces. Karen, who is one half of the new Assemblage Project store on Canberra's Lonsdale Street (the other half being local label, 4 minutes 33), makes beautiful-quality garments from new and recycled fabrics that are wonderfully adaptable to a range of body shapes and can be worn in a number of ways. Before visiting Karen at Hustle&Scout Saturday week, I suggest you read this post that Canberra blogger, Vanisha, wrote about her experience trying on some of Karen's designs. The loop dress is, without a doubt, always a crowd-favourite. Today, I would like to share with you a few simple insights into Karen and her practice...





When did you know you wanted to be a fashion designer?
I’m not sure I made a conscious decision to become a fashion designer. When I was younger I always made my own clothes and then later in life I had the opportunity to study design and I chose to study fashion design. I guess it took off from there.


How would you describe your label’s design aesthetic?
Simple, sophisticated lines with classical shapes and unusual twists.


Where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs?
Life, fabric, the moment …


If you had the opportunity to dress anyone, who would it be? Why?
I want to dress the lady walking past. Why – because I want her to take ownership and mold my garment to her individual style.


What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? Why?
Trousers – they are comfortable and the wide legs have so much fabric they feel like a luxury to wear.


What is your greatest challenge as a designer?
Designing for myself and at the same time designing something the customer wants.


How is are your designs sustainable?
I recently designed a dress where, after cutting the back, the scrap fabric was stitched together to create a piece large enough to cut the front of the dress; meaning each dress is slightly different.

I recycle the things where possible for example: paper, unused fabric scraps are collected for rags etc.



No comments :

Post a Comment