Tuesday 2 June 2015

Adorn by Sarah Bishop.



Image: Clifford Yapp
Tell us about your label, Adorn by Sarah Bishop, and how it all began.
I’ve always sewn. I remember as a child making a dusty blue ballet style dress for my teddy based on one I spotted in a Dolly magazine. I loved sewing at High School and even won the prize for best student in my year. That was the late 80s, so it was no surprise when I eventually made my own lovely parachute silk dress for my formal.

Following a BFA degree I worked in a craft gallery where I rediscovered my love for wearable art, sewing and fashion. I was very lucky to win the local Art on Legs awards and a brand new Bernina sewing machine was my fabulous prize. I had been making jewellery for a few years but I have to say I cannot remember the moment when I decided to use the same imagery on fabric, primarily in the form of scarves. I have loved wearing scarves for years and have collected some beauties. I must have thought, “Why don’t I just make my own?”

For me, Adorn by Sarah Bishop is all about quality, vintage bits and bobs, beautiful laces and fabrics, a touch of history and a bit of romance thrown in there too. It is a place where I can express beauty.
 
Where did your love for vintage items and antique French postcards evolve from?
I am a bit of a collector, always have been. I bought a pack of vintage French postcards on a whim many years ago and it wasn’t until a few years later that I finally used them in my designs. Now I have a rather large French  postcard collection thanks to online shopping. I love the stories attached to them, or perhaps the stories I imagine in my mind. Friends and relatives that know of my love for old things now pass vintage goodies onto me to be caretaker. I have a wonderful collection of old lace, hats, dresses, jewellery and so on. I also have a bit of a thing for vintage millinery and haberdashery items.



 
What do you enjoy most about being a part of the creative scene in Hobart?
The local creative scene is friendly and supportive and I am always inspired by the creations and achievements of my fellow craftspeople and designers. Sometimes living in Tasmania can seem a little isolated but social media makes it easier to reach a broader market with your creations. It’s a lifestyle hard to beat.


What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?
I will be offering a wide range of my digitally printed Paris Postcard scarves in cotton and silk, along with accessories including earrings and my recent collection of Dentelle pendants, made from vintage French lace encased in resin upon a vintage optometrist test lens.


What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be involved?
I am really thrilled to be part of the first Hobart Hustle&Scout. I like the concept of a purely fashion/accessories market and it’s fantastic to have stall holders from interstate. I’m really looking forward to meeting them. The standard looks really high – I just hope my purse strings stay intact. Being involves also means my label is promoted to mainland Hustle&Scout supporters which is great.
 

MY FAVE THINGS


Guilty pleasure: Being cosy on the couch with a good cup of tea and some questionable American soap opera on tv.

Song on your ultimate mixtape: Perhaps a bit sad but it would have to include 'Gold' by Spandau Ballet.

Fashion piece you own: How do I choose one? I have a beautiful Chanel brooch that I acquired for a significant birthday, only to lose it whilst down at Salamanca one evening. Would you believe I found it under a table? It now sports a safety chain so I never lose it again!

Place to unwind in Hobart: Most probably pottering in my garden but also walking along one of our many local beaches with my beloved pooch, Molly.

Item in your studio: That’s a tricky one to narrow down. I love my sewing machine, my beautiful 1930’s French mannequin, Antoinette (who will be modelling at the market), but also the plethora of books and vintage goodness that always provides inspiration.

2 comments :

  1. Sarah, is super talented! I love her prints. Wish i could come to this event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobbi you are very kind. I wish you could come too! X

      Delete