Sunday 7 June 2015

re:jewellery.


Tell us about your jewellery label, re:jewellery, and how it all began.
I began re:jewellery in November last year - a week before university exams started! Although this seems like utter madness (it was), it was also a great way for me to stay creative (but extremely busy) whilst studying some rather dry business subjects by distance.
I started re:jewellery with the vision of creating a collection that is cleverly designed, fun to wear and is kind on the environment. I use a mixture of industrial and hand made techniques to create jewellery made from powder coated stainless steel and recycled silver. All pieces can be adjusted to size, with cuffs that can be stretched to shape and necklaces that can be worn at different lengths.

Where do you draw your design inspiration from?
I’m a sensitive little soul and am deeply affected by the environment around me. I was living in suburban Wagga Wagga when I created the current collection ‘Natives in Disguise’, which is inspired by the beautiful native flora that seems to hide from view behind suburban picket fences in possibly the most ‘Australian’ feelin’ town in Australia. With this in mind, I wanted to create my own suburban dreamscape that is both wild and tame, where the natural world mingles with architectural landscapes, creating a constant tension between organic and inorganic forms.

What does a typical re:jewellery ‘studio’ day look like?
Every day is different. Sometimes I’m filing stainless steel components and bending them up ready for a powder coat, other times I’m attempting to mass-solder a whole lot of sterling silver jump rings. Whatever I’m doing, I’ve probably got some headphone on and have become completely lost to the world, enjoying the task at hand.

What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?
Completely adjustable Banksia cuffs, (just a little bit) bad-ass Serrata chokers, leafy and layered Eucalypt bracelets, as well as the stand-out statement piece, the Suburbia necklace.

What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be involved?
I love the Hustle&Scout ethos of supporting independent fashion designers: those talented little souls that are brave enough to do things their own way. I also love the experience the market aims at creating, with music, food, wine and good times for all. Oh, and mainly I want to be involved so that I can bask in the reflected glory of the other 32 designers that will be there, including many designers that I have a massive fashion-crush on. Eeeek!


MY FAVE THINGS


Song on your ultimate mixtape:
Moth Wings by POND. Psychedelic rock with swagger. This is my “getting things done” song and is a great one to start a cold morning run with.
Meal to have cooked for you:
Breakfast is the best meal to have cooked for me! Poached eggs with all the vego trimmings without having to lift a finger? A breakfast that perfect almost brings a tear to my eye.
Fashion piece you have made:
Definitely the Suburbia necklace. Its one of those pieces that make a statement without trying. I also like to wear it as a crown when I need to conquer something tricky as I feel it gives me royal powers
Place to unwind in Hobart:
I’d have to say Preachers Bar if I need to unwind. Alcohol aside, a trip up to Mount Wellington helps to blow away all the little things getting me down and can help me get things into perspective.
Item in your studio:
My hammer. There’s nothing more satisfying that giving some metal a good whack.

No comments :

Post a Comment