Monday 8 June 2015

Limerence.


Tell us about Limerence plus your own label, Twisted Fig, and how it all began...
Limerence is a retail and exhibition space in Belgrave VIC, nestled at the foot of the Dandenong Ranges.  We opened in 2010 with a dedicated focus on the handmade creations of Australian artists and designers. The store started with about a dozen artists and has now grown to represent over 50 in store currently, including a number of the other designers participating in Hustle&Scout Hobart, including Jude, Bobbins n Bliss and Tasmania’s eco resin queen, Nanna Woo Handmade.

I am passionate about providing a space where artists can find a home for their work and where all members of the community have an opportunity to have access to what are often limited edition or one-off pieces, acting as an authentic link between maker and consumer.

Limerence gives it customers the opportunity to make more conscious and ethical choices about how and where they spend their money. We do our best to make it easy by selecting the artists we represent very carefully to ensure they align with our ethics and values.

Twisted Fig is Limerence’s  in-house fashion label which I started  before the bricks and mortar store, as an accessories label in 2007. The label has evolved a lot over time to focus on one-off and limited run garments, handcrafted from a wide range of recycled, industry excess and hand embellished materials.  It is a constantly evolving creative outlet for my flights of fancy and love of texture and vintage textiles.   

What inspires your designs?
The Twisted Fig label definitely stems from my love of vintage textiles and my determination to create interesting, unique pieces of wearable art that have minimal impact on the environment. Although working with only industry excess and reclaimed fabrics can present some challenges, it can also greatly benefit the design process, encouraging me to be more creative with what I’ve got and hopefully producing more interesting results.
I am passionate about operating my business in the most environmentally sustainable way possible, offering my clients a more ethical and imaginative alternative to main stream fashion trends.

I love giving old garments and vintage fabrics a new life. Doing my small part to help the environment by using mostly recycled fabrics and found objects is very rewarding and inspiring. Plus I always get a giddy little thrill when something is finished and has turned out beautifully. 


What brings you the most joy from your creative practice?
Although my creative process has had to change over the years to adapt to the constant interruptions that children and a shop tend to ensure- I LOVE that feeling of getting completely lost in a piece and that feeling that what you are creating is coming through you not from you. That probably sounds wanky! LOL

I also get so much satisfaction from that moment when a customer falls in love with a garment as much as I have. Especially with one-off pieces, it is so satisfying when someone loves it and it fits them perfectly, you know it has found the right home. I love helping people feel beautiful in their own unique way.


What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?
As well as the new Twisted Fig collection, I will be showcasing the work of a handful of other designers and jewellers that Limerence represents, including Sunchana, Brent Dakis Jewellery, Tread & Pedals, Scraggs Handmade, Neisha, Reform and Temono. There will be a whole bunch of gorgeous things to explore!


What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
It will be my first time bringing Limerence ‘on the road’ so I’m a bit nervous and wanted to be sure I was participating in a market with a great reputation for looking after it’s designers and for showcasing quality design.

Hanna (from Nanna Woo Handmade) has been encouraging me for ages to get out of my ‘Belgrave bubble’ and share what I do more widely, and I love Hobart so it just all seemed to fall into place =)

MY FAVE THINGS


Guilty pleasure:
I don’t think guilt should ever be applied to pleasurable things! One of my biggest indulgences though is good food, I just LOVE to eat so I’m looking forward to seeing what Hobart has to offer!

What you wanted to be when you grew up:
As predictable as it sounds, I think I always wanted to make my life about art and design. I was making clothes for my Barbies from a really early age and would spend hours playing dress ups or playing with my paper dolls (they were amazing- someone should totally bring that back as a thing!) One thing that I have always been good at is talking so having a shop where I get to talk to people and play dress ups all day is the ultimate!

Fave fashion piece you own:
That question sounds so much simpler than it is! It’ll have to be a tie between my merino wool ‘Rona’ dress from Melbourne designer Neisha, my spectacular new tailored suit from Anton’s and my green velvet frock coat that a friend of mine made under her own fashion label Pottage Pie in the early 80’s- it’s as if it was tailored specifically for my body before I was even born!

One place you’d like to visit when in Hobart:
I haven’t been to Hobart for about 10 years so I can’t wait to check out all the little boutiques and galleries I’ve been hearing about! And of course MONA- I’ve been aching to get there ever since it opened!

Your role model/s:
I admire each and every artist and designer that has committed their life to doing what they love. It takes an element of real bravery to opt of the 9-5 system with all the comforts of a steady income, to focus on your passion and really put yourself out there.


No comments :

Post a Comment