Tuesday 9 June 2015

Emily Snadden Design.


Tell us about your eponymous jewellery label, Emily Snadden Design, and how it all began.

I always knew that I wanted to be a Jeweller, however gaining training proved difficult. Prior to setting up my own business, I completed a BFA with Honours in Photography at UTAS, and whilst I loved my time there it was clear that making was what I really should be doing. I would spend hours hand making objects to photograph – it was the believability of these objects that made my photography successful.

In 2004 I made the decision to gain the training I needed and moved to Wagga Wagga to complete my degree in Jewellery. I moved back to Hobart following the completion of my Masters and a stint being employed as Lecturer & Technical Officer within the Jewellery studios. In 2010 I was awarded the ‘Jeweller of The Year’ title in the Australian Jewellery Design Awards, the same piece that won this title was then awarded at the 2011 Hong Kong International Jewellery Fair, I was the first Australian Jeweller to be honoured at these awards.

In 2010 my business was launched, I am so grateful to be able to create a living from my passion but, the biggest reward is creating beautiful heirloom pieces for my clients.



Where do you draw your design inspiration from?

My work is heavily inspired by the native flora of my home state. As a jeweller I am driven by the process of design and manufacturing – my artistic practice evolves from a process of specimen collecting in the bush to photographing and sketching prior to creation. I spend a lot of time wandering in the native bush land collecting specimens to sketch or work from directly through the process of lost wax casting.

My work is a reflection of my personal connection to Tasmania and a love for our unique landscape and flora. It is a reflection of the intricate, delicate details and textures within the Tasmanian landscape. My work is both delicate and whimsical; I hope to capture the intricate details, textures and geometry within the Tasmanian environment.


What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?

Handmade pieces inspired by the Tasmanian bush that are both delicate and bold. I will be launching some new pieces in the ‘Foliage’ range including cufflinks and some new neckpieces. I will also have my full range with me which includes earrings, bangles, rings and bridal crowns.




What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be involved?

Everything I have heard about the event is that it is fabulous! I am excited to be a part of a an event that has such a heavy focus on fashion and bringing beautiful ethically made products together in one of my favourite places – Salamanca Arts Centre (where I am a studio tenant).  It is also perfect timing running alongside Hobarts Dark MOFO - one of Tassie’s biggest events! Who said winter was boring!  



MY FAVE THINGS


Guilty pleasure: Chocolate!

Song on your ultimate mixtape: Mazzy Star – Fade into You

Fashion piece you own: My engagement ring; my husband and I designed it together and I think that’s pretty great!

Place to unwind in Hobart: The bush – my favourite thing to do is escape to the Tasmanian Highlands to relax.

Item in your studio: There’s more than one favourite, my tools are extremely precious to me but the top three would be my swiss sawframe, german filing block and my bench which was hand made for me. 


 

No comments :

Post a Comment