Tuesday 16 June 2015

SOVATA.


Tell us about your label, SOVATA, and what the name means?
My label name SOVATA came about because I wanted it to be a reflection of me without using my name. S comes from my sir name Sargent and Ovata comes from part of the Botanical name for a Jade plant Crassula Ovata. When combined Sovata was born. (http://succulent-plant.com/families/crassulaceae/moneyplant.html)

 
Tell us about your recent collection debuted at Fashfest.
My collection at Fashfest 2015 was called ‘Taking Control’. The idea behind the collection was a reflection of what was happening in my work life. I realised I am not so good at sitting at a desk and my creative dream was calling me. I decided to ‘Take Control’ of my work life and chose to go part time to give me more hours to help push Sovata forward so that eventually I can be creative full time. 

With the name ‘Taking Control’ coming before the designs in the collection I was looking at what taking control meant in a design sense. For me it boiled down to this, knowing when to control something and when to let it go and fitted structure with drape. I looked at my zero waste pattern making and experimented with excess fabric draping from the fitted form. I then experimented with how one could control drape, this lead to experiments with embellishment and I ended up using elastic. Elastic gives the wearer choice of when to let the garment go and drape on its own or help control the garment attaching to small buttons on the garment allowing the wearer to individually control the garment and create texture, structure and an individual fit.

 

Colours came from inspiration I had been collecting all year from Instagram, saving photos that I had a connection with and was drawn to which resulted in many mood boards but the final one chosen had a Moroccan feel. I love colour and unusual colour combinations mixed with the contrast of black and white to help give the colours more drama. For me colour is important in giving the garment a life, making the catwalk visually exciting and making the creative process for me more exciting. With all these design decisions the Sovata 2015 ‘Taking Control’ collections was brought to life.

What are your creative goals for coming year?
To say yes to as many creative opportunities for Sovata as possible, do more markets and hopefully find a few stockists.


What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?
A lot of my Fashfest collection including winter variations of some garments, felt hats, beanies, scarfs and some elastic jewellery.


What is it about Hustle&Scout Hobart that made you want to be involved?
It gives me a chance to travel somewhere I have never been before, check out the creative scene in Hobart that I have heard so much about, meet up with a dear old friend and try something new. I am excited J




 

MY FAVE THINGS


Australian fashion designer:
Akira Isogowa. He isn’t afraid to experiment, his designs are simplistic and beautiful, he isn’t afraid of colour or pattern, he often accessorises hi looks with hats and exciting creative jewellery and he achieves a simple drama which is something that I hope to achieve.

Meal to have cooked for you:
A beautiful home cooked roast with delicious crisp baked potatoes and gravy….. Yum!

Fashion piece you have made:
One of my hats I made for my first Fashfest experience in 2013. It is simple, effective and such a beautiful colour. It is one of my favourite things I’ve made to date.

Country you have visited:
Kota Kinabalu,  Malaysia, for my honeymoon last year. The scenery is beautiful the people are friendly and the wild life is amazing.

Item in your studio:
I can’t say it’s my favourite item in the studio but it always gets noticed... An old mannequin torso saved by my dad from an old store closing down in Braidwood NSW where I grew up. It’s vintage, missing one eye, a little creepy and definitely a conversation starter.

No comments :

Post a Comment