Wednesday 3 June 2015

Captain Robbo Adventure Pants.


Tell us about Captain Robbo Adventure Pants and how it all began...
It began around 5 years ago ‘officially’ but before that the idea to do printed leggings happened when I was working as a screen printer and was about to embark on an overseas adventure, that I didn’t plan to come back from. I table printed 4 designs onto stretch fabric and I remember my boss saying ‘You should have done this ages ago you dufus!’. I took the fabric with me on my journey and had them made into leggings in Thailand. Which awkwardly travelled with me for a year through England and Europe. I would just give them to people I met or try to sell them at a random market in Berlin. When I came back after a year I went straight back into my old screen printing job, and soon after broke my arm and I thought to myself – I have to get smarter than this!! That is really when it all started.

What are the sustainable aspects to the Captain Robbo label?
We work in a toxic free environment; so all our inks are eco-friendly. They are water and soy based so not destructive to our health or anyone else we share our studio (and planet) with. Also we are committed to keeping all production in Melbourne so there is a reduced carbon footprint without the shipping from overseas, and it also just feels better to leave out exploiting third world economies from the whole process. Recently we have been sourcing organic cotton a mill is making in Melbourne and it will be another feature of the range very soon!


If you could see one celebrity in your adventure pants, who would that be and why?
This is hard!! Either Yoko Ono or Grace Jones. Because I am a big fan but also they are such amazing powerful ladies full of inspiring energy. They still got it! It would blow my mind to feel a personal connection to them, like as if I could somehow channel their magic!


Describe your workspace and one studio item you can’t live without?
There is a lot going on in my space, a whole print section with the oven and inks, and then all the fabrics and swatches and adventure pants and artwork ect..  I share it with a little community of painters and designers, which also ad to the colour!

I would have to say that these days I would be overwhelmed without my assistant printer, Rohan ,who is such a great help. I can’t print them all on my own anymore and he just comes in and gets it done!

What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
I am so excited for this trip to Tassie and so grateful it’s on the same time as Dark Mofo. Usually running markets on weekends means missing out on going away for events. I love Tassie so much, and luckily I am doing more merino this year as it’s going to be freezing!

 

MY FAVE THINGS


Guilty pleasure: Eek! It's whiskey!

What you wanted to be when you grew up: Always something new and to be constantly evolving.

Fave fashion piece you own: Currently it’s my leather jacket.

One place you’d like to visit when in Hobart: Cradle Mountain if it is clear. But always MONA!

Your role model/s: My grandmother who recently passed, who I strive to keep alive her kindness, joy and leadership she held in our family and her community. She gave me so much.

No comments :

Post a Comment