Tuesday 16 June 2015

Tanja von Behrens.

Tell us about your eponymous jewellery label, Tanja von Behrens, and how it all began.

To be honest, it still feels very strange to me to consider my work as a Jewellery label, or ‘brand’. I just consider myself as a person who makes things, really! Jewellery is wearable - so of course it does fit into the fashion realm; however this is often not what drives me to create something. I’m fascinated by design, technique, process, and artistic practice - and I like to try and tell a story through the work I create in the studio. The fact that people might choose to wear it, and understand or appreciate the work or context behind it is the icing on the cake, really.

I was brought up in a very creative household, so art in all forms has always been a part of my life. My mother is a painter, and both my parents have always encouraged our creativity. I started making jewellery as a hobby while at Uni in Sydney, went on to teach beading and jewellery-making in my job as a youth worker, and then after years away from it, moved to Tasmania in 2010 to complete formal study in Jewellery/Silversmithing at TAFE.

Tell us about your recent collection showcased at Fashfest in Canberra?

The body of work I created for FASHFEST 2015 in Canberra was quite personal. For me, memories and place are intimately connected – and I wanted to create a body of work that really celebrated some of the things I love about Canberra. Each piece that I designed for FASHFEST was based on Canberra places - referencing local street maps. I used these as my starting point - selecting streets that had graphic beauty and personal or cultural significance, and then creating a body of work inspired by them. The works referenced the Australian War Memorial & Anzac Parade; The Parliamentary Triangle; The National Film and Sound Archive; Glenloch Interchange; London Circuit; Captain Cook Crescent and Arthur Circle - places that have personal meaning for the Canberra folk that travel these roads every day - but that are also beautiful in their own right.  Each original piece was constructed by hand in the studio, and then moulded for future reproduction. It was an 8 month long process of planning, thinking and making – and such a relief to see it all come together on the night.


What brings you the most joy from your creative practice?
I love designing and creating work in the studio – and when something I’ve been working on finally comes together the way that I intend, it definitely feels like a win. There’s a sense of satisfaction and empowerment that comes with doing something for yourself that can be hard to find when working for someone else – but having said that, it can also be very challenging – financially and emotionally!

I would have to say that the thing I’ve enjoyed the most in trying to create an income for myself from my creative practice are the incredible people I’ve met along the way. Salamanca Arts Centre has been an absolute blessing – and I do my best to network and collaborate with other creative people as much as I can. We all seem to support each other – and it really makes so much difference. When I see someone who I know has worked incredibly hard on their craft achieving something awesome and finally seeing reward for all of their hard work, it makes me pretty happy J.

What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?
I’ll be sharing a stall with the lovely Simone Pfister at Hustle&Scout Hobart in June. We’ve both been helping out a little behind the scenes, and want to be involved both back and front of house this time round! I’ll be selling some of the work from my Canberra FASHFEST collection, and a collection of other designs that have become my favourites over the last few years.


What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be involved?
I participated in Hustle&Scout in Canberra last April, and have helped a little backstage since, at Canberra events. I’m always trying to find ways to bridge the gap between my Canberra and Hobart worlds - and this feels like the perfect opportunity. I love the way the event is staged, and how multifaceted it is.



MY FAVE THINGS


Guilty pleasure: Dark Chocolate. I can pretend it’s still healthy, and actually doing good things for me…

Song on your ultimate mixtape: There would definitely have to be some Xavier Rudd in there. When everything else fails, Xavier Rudd and a long walk does the trick!

Fashion piece you own: I Op Shop way too much – and as a result I really need to clean out my wardrobe and get rid of the stuff I don’t wear! My favourite top is a black $4 silk job I bought in Adelaide about 5 years ago. It’s seen a few too many different occasions, & I keep having to find ways to pretend I’m wearing something different. My other favourite is a handmade black dress I bought for $6 in a Deloraine op shop. I love hunting for the gold on the op-shop shelves – it feels victorious ;)

Place to unwind in Hobart: Wherever my legs will take me, really – and if there are dogs around to hang out with and cuddle as well, then I’m really in a happy place ;).

Item in your studio:
Good question – I’m not really sure! I definitely have a number of favourite tools though - as odd as that may sound. My Nylon Jaw Pliers have definitely made life a lot easier.

No comments :

Post a Comment