Thursday 18 June 2015

I wish i had a little shop.


Tell us about I wish I had a little shop and how it all began…
Once upon a time there was a girl who was not enjoying working on her PhD. One day the girl, let’s call her Rosie, decided that she would rather be doing something that satisfied her creative spirit and threw her PhD in the recycling bin (literally -actually, it filled two bins). Thus, I wish I had a little shop was born and the girl lived happily ever-after.


Where or who do you look to for design inspiration?
Everywhere! I’m always looking for new and unexpected colour combinations- in the natural environment and the online-verse (I’m a bit of Instagram junkie). My designs are primarily driven by wanting to explore colour and its infinite combinations.  Admittedly, my combinations don’t always work and I often have, ‘what was I thinking?’ moments.  My newest collection (debuting at Hustle&Scout) is heavily influenced by the revival of the Memphis movement- bold colour combinations and geometric shapes abound!


When you’re not working, what do you like to do for fun?
I collect hobbies. Any opportunity to learn a new craft or technique and I’m there! In the past few years I’ve attended workshops for basket weaving, shibori, macramĂ©, loom weaving and ceramics.


What item in your studio could you not live without and why?
The sofa! Also, the kettle (for coffee), the bar fridge (for beer) and the heater (for those chilly Hobart mornings). Oh, and my business partner (Flock of Two), Ruth!



What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
Having heard nothing but good things about the Canberra events I was so excited when I head Hustle & Scout was coming to Hobart. I’d been trying to work it into my interstate market calendar for a few years, but it never quite happened. Happily you guys are coming to me instead! I love the vibe of being part of a well curated design market and, for me, Hustle & Scout ticks all the boxes -great exposure, amazing venue, access to the right market, good food and live music.


MY FAVE THINGS


Guilty pleasure: watching Game of Thrones and eating salted caramel ice cream.

What you wanted to be when you grew up: taller

Fave fashion piece you own: Jane Hodgetts earrings and studio ugg boots

Fave place to unwind in Hobart: my studio couch or anywhere that serves good beer

Your role model/s: I was going to say someone like, Julia Gillard, Hilary Clinton, or maybe, Margaret Thatcher, but in truth my role models are The Goodies (especially Bill & Graham, not so much Tim).

No comments :

Post a Comment