Thursday 11 June 2015

Tasmanian Timber Jewls.


Tell us about Tasmanian Timber Jewls and what inspires your designs.

Tasmanian Timber Jewls (TTJ) is a unique jewellery collection hand-crafted in Tasmania by woodworker Emily Nash (me!). Every piece is made with ethically sustainable, salvaged Tasmanian timbers, with designs inspired by the temperate rainforests which cover the State, versatile wear and contemporary developments in the field of jewellery design. Each piece of timber used by TTJ is TWICE salvaged (yes, twice!), once from that discarded on Tasmanian Forestry floors spanning the last 25 years and once from my fathers’ own woodwork floor! Now the second-generation of ‘Nash’ woodworkers, I work in close partnership with my father in down-streaming the timber left-over from his larger woodwork business into colourful and versatile timber jewellery.

As the child of a woodworker I have been raised amongst piles of beautiful timber and inspired with a profound value for the laboured growth and natural beauty of our temperate rainforest species. My mother's passion for everything Tasmanian horticulture has given my work grounding in knowledge about our species’ unique characteristics. I have watched my family enjoy the challenge and freedom of self-employment, experiencing the fulfilment which this provides.  My sisters and I have grown amongst the cultures, community and crowds of the Salamanca Markets, listening to the timber blurbs or our father and napping under the hessian-covered tables at site 217. All of this has culminated to inspire the home-grown and honest work of TTJ, with no pretence in its production or display, just beautiful timber rescued from fire and rot, offering customers their own piece of Tasmanian heritage.
 




How did you get into wood turning?

Many years ago now, as we burnt Huon Pine off-cuts for kindling in our wood-fire in Franklin (Tasmania), dad thought to further down-stream this beautiful timber as wooden beads. Given to me as a way to earn my pocket money, the designs have slowly grown from plastic Chickenfeed flower and timber beads to the more mature, versatile range of jewellery which is TTJ today. My love for the many skills involved in woodworking has grown throughout this time, but the past year has seen major growth in the time I’ve afforded to my woodwork and TTJ creations. The creative outlet, market life and customer contact which woodwork provides fuels my passion for the skill. There’s no going back now!


Describe your typical day in the studio…

Each day is a juggling act between student and woodworker. While woodwork is always on my mind, I often get pulled away during the year by the requirements of a Master of Teaching (Primary) degree at UTAS. When I do steal away some woodwork time, you can find me in my backyard ‘studio’ (un-lit shed), equipped with scroll saw, buffer, drills, orbital sanders and all the other little tools which are used to produce the various pieces. When time permits I’ll visit dad at the family home in Franklin (Tasmanian) to do spots of work for him and retrieve the wooden beads which he puts through the homemade beaderisator (so loud that it can’t live with me in suburbia). A trip to Wilderness Woodworks in Strahan is also sometimes on the cards, as the fabulously skilled woodworkers there share their wisdom in tools and design and allow me to use their laser to cut some of my more intricate designs. My home, my fathers’ home, my mothers’ home, Tasmania in general – it all becomes part of the scattered ‘studio’ producing  TTJs jewellery, designs, photography and display.


What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?

A twisting display of Tasmanian timber jewellery, sprawled over Huon Pine driftwood with a background of hessian. A versatile range of TTJ will be on offer, from the traditional adjustable timber beaded necklaces to the contemporary timber jewellery harness, with earrings and sterling silver work between. With colourful mixes of each timer, or statements exclusively made from Huon Pine, Myrtle or Sassafras, there’ll be something for every jewellery appreciator.



What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?

Actually, a customer tagged me in a post about a new opportunity coming to Tasmania – why not? I love being a part of the creative community of Tasmania and would love to extend this to ‘the main-land’. I’m looking forward to the exposure for my work and the chance to meet a new group of designer/makers.


MY FAVE THINGS


Guilty pleasure: Dipping chocolate in coffee… sugar and caffeine forever!

What you wanted to be when you grew up: I was always unsure, and still am!

Fave fashion piece you own: My own birds-eye Huon Pine harness.

Fave place to unwind in Hobart: Home is where my heart is, but a café with good coffee comes a close second. Berta and Retro Café are both places which tick this box.

Your role model/s: Moo-ma (mum) and Moo-pa (dad) – here’s to hoping someone gets the Black Books reference ;)

 


No comments :

Post a Comment