Wednesday 10 June 2015

Eva Cassis.


Tell us about your eponymous women’s wear label, Eva Cassis, and how it all began.

Originally I wanted to create beautifully designed high quality clothing that I wanted to wear. I struggled to find the quality I desired and timeless designs that were not trend driven in shops. I wanted to create clothing that encouraged women to be themselves and not look like their friends, colleagues, neighbours etc.
 
Soon after launching my label in 2012 I realised I had more responsibility than just creating beautiful things. I felt I needed to help educate consumers about process and encourage everyone to take responsibility for the way they consume fashion.


Tell us about the sustainable aspects of your label.

Eva Cassis is about bringing the art of fashion back and the appreciation of process.The philosophy can be summed up as ‘slow’ and ‘humble’. Focusing on design integrity, small artisan production and choosing sustainable materials sourced from fairtrade and ethical suppliers. My intention is to design high quality seasonless collections that create longevity for the wearer.

I want to minimise the waste I produce by recycling and re using fabric off-cuts and sourcing recycled materials to work with in the first place.

As the business owner I feel it is my responsibility to set standards in my own business. I feel very strongly about running my business ethically whilst creating beautiful garments and accessories.

It is very true “There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it causes hunger and unhappiness”  - Ghandi


If you could see anyone in the world wearing your designs, who would it be and why?

My style muses for a while now have been Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen. I love their relaxed casual chic style and the sophistication they can pull off on a red carpet situation. Absolutely anything they wear looks effortless, chic and timeless.
 
I think they have a very mature interpretation of fashion & dance to the beat of their own drum, which I really like.


What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?

We have been so busy creating some beauties for Hobart in June!

  •       Gorgeous Wool/Cashmere Capes
  •       Merino Wraps & Scarves
  •       Some new Linen Tunics for layering and;
  •       Our stunning new winter range of sustainable jewellery that works back perfectly with all of the above!


What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to journey down to Hobart and be involved?

Hustle&Scout is a celebration of design.
Founder, Tegan, is truly passionate about art, fashion, design and most of all Hustle&Scout. The amount of talent and vision that has gone in to each and every Canberra event has been incredible. The vibe is always a relaxed happy celebration where you can connect with design appreciative customers and lots like minded folks. I can only imagine what a killer event Hobart will be so of course I jumped at the chance to be involved!


MY FAVE THINGS

 
Australian fashion designer:

This is a hard one because there have been so many incredible designers over the years. I think for me Akira Isogawa is still a real stand out. He was really one of the first to push the boundaries of traditional fashion design in Australia. The beauty he achieves & the time invested in every piece is something to be truly admired. He respects tradition whilst being innovative & fabric choices are spectacular. He is a true artist!
 
Meal to have cooked for you:

Nothing beats my mums traditional Greek cooking. It is the one cuisine I really struggle to eat out (and cook myself).

Fashion piece you have made:

My Dixie Dance Pants are probably my all time favourite piece. The pattern took me over 2 years to perfect. The panelling is interesting unique & after you own a pair you don’t want to wear anything else! They are the most comfortable & flattering trousers you will ever wear & almost all my customers who have purchased them now own 2-3 & even 4 pairs!

Country you have visited:

Definitely New York! Anyone that knows me would know this! Full of Art galleries & interesting places to go. There’s such a unique vibe and it’s always buzzing with energy & creativity. Fashion is abundant & so unique. Empire state of mind! (Thanks Alicia).

I’m always coming up with crazy ideas of how my husband and I can relocate there but unfortunately he hasn’t agreed to any yet.

Item in your studio:

My favourite item in the studio is my huge wooden cutting table that was donated by my lovely mother-in-law. It is where most things are created wether its patternmaking, cutting or jewellery making. It probably plays the biggest part in the design process & where most of the action happens in the studio. It’s also awesome that it was passed down by another creative genius who I admire.

No comments :

Post a Comment