Monday 1 June 2015

Nanna Woo Handmade.


Tell us about your label, Nanna Woo Handmade, and how it all began.
Nanna Woo Handmade began after the birth of our first child. I was inspired to begin doing something with all the fun and colourful ideas I had going on in my brain, while still being at home with my babes… It began with felting, my stitched patchwork cards and vintage button clay studs and kept on going from there.



Tell us about the sustainable aspects of your label.
I am proudly one of the first Australians to use a bio-derived resin that is made using sustainable practices. I avoid investing in jars and jars of pigments and instead use a few basic colours to create a spectrum of colour and also find other means and materials to stain the resin. I love adventuring with my family and finding pieces of nature to embed in my one of a kind pieces. Everything is thoughtfully harvested and collected. I use as many recycled materials as I can source including 100% recycled sterling silver and paper.

 
Where do you draw your inspiration from?
Living in Bicheno on the east coast of Tasmania, it’s easy to draw inspiration from the sea, rocks and sand. Throughout the year, I am lucky enough to see the sea change from a bright sparkling aqua to a deep dark moody indigo and watch pastel coloured sunrises and sunsets change the colour of the rocks. Yeah, I live in paradise.

 
What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?
I am going to have a full collection of Eco Resin jewels and some brand new pieces I am saving just for Hustle&Scout.  There is going to be loads of colour to brighten up any winter’s day.

 
What do you believe Hustle&Scout will contribute to Tasmania’s creative culture?

This is a fabulous chance for Tasmanians to see a great, fun mix of local and mainland designers. This platform blends quirkiness with high quality, handmade fashion and accessories and offers a totally new and unique shopping experience, all in a stunning setting… It’s also a great way to integrate the passion we all share for making, designing and supporting handmade.

 

MY FAVE THINGS


Guilty pleasure: American Idol – I. Just. Love. It.!!!

Song on ultimate mixtape: I Want You – Elvis Costello & The Attractions

Fashion piece you own: I have two: 1.My woollen hooded vest from Mim Found Ena in Northcote Melbs. The comfiest thing I own and 2. My Simone Pfister doily earrings. The prettiest earrings ever!

Place to unwind in Hobart: Simone’s house. Super relaxing, great convos and a bottle of wine.

Object in your studio: All of my metallic foil sheets. They are my go-to material when I need some inspiration!
 

No comments :

Post a Comment